I have a secret that I want to share with all of you new moms. It’s for moms who have had kids for awhile too. And for dads. It’s for everyone who takes care of kids. Are you ready? Seriously, are you ready for it?
No mom has it all together.
Incredible right? No, none of them do. Not one. It might seem like some of them do, but you are not seeing what they are letting slide.
This image appeared in my Facebook newsfeed recently and it seems particularly appropriate.
It is absolutely true, because you cannot have all three. And I would like to add to that: Please be gentle with yourself. If you are a parent, your job first and foremost is to raise your children. Everything else is a way to accomplish that or a distraction from that. That means that:
- Sometimes people will ask you to do things and you will have to say no. It’s OK; you have kids.
- Sometimes the house will not be clean. It’s OK; you have kids.
- Sometimes dinner will be takeout. Or from the freezer section. Or from the canned section. Don’t beat yourself up.
- Sometimes the laundry won’t be done.
- Sometimes you won’t get a shower.
- Sometimes you will be late.
- Sometimes it will feel like you have it all together, but
- Sometimes it will feel like it is all going to pot. Probably more of the latter than the former.
It is OK, it is OK, it is OK because you have kids.
- Sometimes you will need a break from everything because you have kids. Sometimes, you will even need a break from your kids.
Cut yourself some slack. No mom has it all together. You just aren’t seeing what they are letting slide.
So the next time it feels like everything is spiraling out of your control, take a deep breath and remind yourself that this is the nature of having kids.
And that it is OK.